May 2016: Following her visit to our Wednesday Club journalist Kate Corr published this blog: “The Lambeth Healthy Living Club – why every town should have a club like this“
- 13th of April 2016: Author Lucy Whitman relaunched her book “People with Dementia Speak Out“. The book features chapters contributed by two our members (Romanina Contucci and Clarice Hall), and by one of our ex-members, who now lives in Glasgow, Pearl Hylton. The Chapter by Clarice includes this quote about the Club:
January 2016: Sarah Reed interview with Dave Bell, trustee and volunteer at the Club, winner of ‘Lifetime Achievement Award’ at the National Dementia Care awards last November. http://www.theagepage.co.uk/the_age_page/2016/01/if-i-had-dementia-i-think-above-all-that-this-is-what-i-would-want-too-respect-from-those-around-me-.html Here he is, receiving the award & he was also short-listed for Best Nurse Specialist/Dementia Lead.
December 2015: Brixton Pound blog writes a long profile of the Club after awarding us a grant to help us recruit local cafes and restaurants to sponsor our lunches. We are asking each business to sponsor lunch for our 50 members just once a year. Tell your favourite local eatery about this and get them to join in.
The best club in London: Rachel Wickert, who is director of Minds et Motion Ltd, a London-based collaborative community of practice that enables people to create their own solutions, writes a long and thoughtful blog post about us.
October 2015: We featured in BBC1’s evening news as an example of how the cultural needs of people with dementia from ethnic minorities can be met through music. Click on the picture at this link to watch the news item http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34479854
- September 2015: The Healthy Living Club is shortlisted for the Lammy Awards by the NHS Lambeth Clinical Commissioning Group in the category ‘Working Together‘. This award seeks to acknowledge and celebrate a team or partnership that has worked effectively and efficiently to deliver clear benefits to the health of Lambeth people.
- June 2015: Journalist Pippa Kelly (winner of the 2014 Older People Media Awards) visits the Club and publishes a blog “A little bit of magic down Lambeth way” which presents our Club as person-centred, integrated care at its best. http://pippakelly.co.uk/2015/06/a-little-bit-of-magic-down-lambeth-way/
- 25/06/2015 Article about our musical activities is published in national newspaper “The Voice” http://www.voice-online.co.uk/article/percussion-workshop-brings-joy-dementia-patients
- Spring 2015: We feature prominently as an example of good practice in South London’s Health Innovation Network’s (HIN’s) toolkit on dementia peer-suport groups. The resource pack was developed for community, voluntary and statutory sector organisations working with, or commissioning/funding services for people with dementia. http://goo.gl/HPak8a
- Autumn 2014: the College of Medicine, where we are invited members of their Innovation Network, features a long interview with Simona Florio about the Club’s pioneering work. http://www.collegeofmedicine.org.uk/innovations/innovator-interviews/innovator-interview-lingham-court
- May 2014: Dave Bell of HLCLC interviewed on Croydon Radio
http://www.croydonradio.com/podcast/show.php?HistoryID=caf6cb2e-e9fb-15a1-2004-29b559ac7057 (at 58mins)
- May 2013: SCIE is the Social Care Institute for Excellence. Here they have a long piece about how we are a good example of “co-production” — a self-mananged group in which everyone takes part in ‘making’ the Club — with a video and sounds http://www.scie.org.uk/publications/guides/guide51/practice-examples/healthy-living-club.asp
- October 2012: The British Government’s Department of Health Dementia Challenge has a story about us, including the sounds of us singing and talking http://dementiachallenge.dh.gov.uk/2012/10/08/hlclc/
- September 2012: Here Gill Phillips, editor of the Whose Shoes blog, introduces a detailed account by Simona Florio of the Club’s philosophy and especially the focus on creating a strong sense of belonging among members. http://whoseshoes.wordpress.com/2012/09/12/in-the-shoes-of-simona-florio-co-ordinator-the-healthy-living-club/